Thursday, May 24, 2012

I am not the centre of the universe.

"She is one, she is many". This describes the colour sisterhood perfectly. It is a constant reminder that the world does not revolve around me. There are people to cater to and I need to equip myself fully to meet the needs around me just as God meets my needs. It took me a while to fully understand this concept. I erroneously thought that only God could comfort people in trouble. How that worked, I never found out but I strongly believed that no human being should assume they can comfort anyone.

Then I read 2nd Corinthians 1:3-7. I read it repeatedly and in various translations because I really couldn't believe what I was reading. The particular phrase that struck me was "...God of all comfort who comforts us in our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." (NKJV)

Basically, God does not comfort me so that I could keep it all to myself and pay no attention to those who need comforting. I am His vessel and when He comforts me during my hard times and brings along another person who is going through hard (or harder) times so that I am there for the person just as He was there for me. That's huge. We cannot give what we do not have and that is exactly why He gives us peace and comfort so we can share with others.

It really has changed the way I conduct myself. I literally walk into a place and mentally calculate how to contribute to making the place run more efficiently or smoothly. I constantly have to depend on God to sort out my issues and I am overwhelmed and honoured when He shows me how I can contribute to alleviating someone else's pain. Taking the focus off me and on other people is really challenging and I constantly ask God to equip me with the meekness of heart to remind myself daily that really, its not all about me.

No comments: